Holy Trinity Heath Town
Founded in 1850
This small charity in Wolverhampton consists of 6 Grade II listed terraced houses in Jacobean style which were built in 1850 by the benevolent industrialist, Henry Rogers. William Henry Rogers was a successful businessman who ran Henry Rogers, Son & Company Limited based in Union Street. They manufactured products including components for steam engines such as cylinders and took out a number of patents for inventions relating to locks and cut nails. They also had premises in London, Sheffield and Paris. Many of their products were exported.
The charity was taken into the care of the Leonard Hackett Memorial Trust (LHMT) in 1985. At that time the criteria of the charity was “poor aged women who are members of the Church of England”. A revised Scheme was issued in 1993 extending the criteria to “poor people over the age of 50 with a preference for poor aged women who are members of the Church of England”.
The buildings had been neglected and were in very poor condition and at this time, the decision was taken to renovate the properties and loans and grants were obtained to cover the total cost of refurbishment. The Civic Trust gave the restoration of the almshouses a Special Mention in 1996. Their report says: "This derelict terrace of grade II listed, 19th century almshouses has been converted to one bedroom houses for elderly people. The deterioration of the existing building fabric made restoration impossible, and the terrace has been almost completely rebuilt. However, the quality of the reconstruction is above average. The building has retained its listed status and now makes a beneficial contribution to its surroundings."
The charity remained under the Trusteeship of LHMT until 2019. LHMT had struggled to recruit local trustees to take over the running of the charity and it was agreed that as Sir Josiah Mason Trust had a greater local presence and a wider range of services, it would be more appropriate for the charity to be managed locally.
The Trust was delighted to welcome the charity to it's family and to be supporting the residents and maintaining these beautiful historic buildings.