Holte & Bracebridge
Founded in 1650
The charity has origins dating back 1650 and the will of Sir Thomas Holte, an infamous land owner (who built Aston Hall as his home) who was also a former Sheriff of Warwickshire, a Knight and later a Baronet. In his will, he directed his trustees to erect an almshouse near Aston Vicarage for ten poor, old people, including five men and five women of the parish of Aston.
By a deed of 1860 W. H. Bracebridge and his wife, and C. H. Bracebridge, descendants of the Holte family, gave property adjoining the almshouses to augment the original endowment and to increase the weekly stipend. The old almshouses were later sold and 10 new almshouses erected in Erdington in 1930. The site is in Erdington and approximately one mile from Mason Cottages and 0.2 miles from Erdington Town Centre.
In addition to the provision of almshouses, the charity also makes grants to individuals or organisations for the alleviation of poverty, hardship or distress.
The charity was reconstituted in 1980 and amalgamated the former charities known as the Bloxwich Charity, the Bloxwich Educational Foundation and the William Withering Charity.
*Until the 19th century, Aston was an extensive parish comprising a number of townships including Bordesley, Castle Bromwich, Duddeston, Erdington, Little Bromwich (Ward End), Minworth, Saltley, Water Orton and Witton.