Thomas Banks Almshouses
This small charity in Kidderminster consists of 6 one bedroom bungalows built in the late 1960’s and fully modernised in 2018. The charity was founded by Thomas Banks, a highly respected JP and Iron Master of the Town and endowed by his will in 1891. We are currently trying to find out more information and a picture of Mr Banks.
The Almshouses which were originally known as Baxter Church Almshouses and the charity ‘Thomas Banks Trust’ and were under the management of the Deacons of the Baxter Congregational Church until a few years ago when they came under the Trusteeship of the West Midlands URC Synod.
The original Almshouses were in Broad Street, but they were relocated in the 1960’s due to the development of the Ring Road. Interestingly, the current Almshouses are less than a mile away and only a short walk from the birth place of Sir Josiah Mason.